Friday, January 7, 2011

WPM Apple Races

After semesters of struggling to motivate my keyboarding kids, I came up with an idea!  I thought I would share because it worked soooooo well!  :)  I am attaching pictures.   

I had a big blank white wall that I have been trying to figure out what to put on and this just happened to work perfectly.  I asked out FCS teacher for some extra yarn and created lines on the wall, I then set word per minute goals (WPM) for them to reach.  
Every day, if they reach a new goal, they get to move their apple.  Who knew that the first day we did this would be SUCH a hit?!?!  I don't know how I am going to keep up!  I had kids working so hard, they went from 41 WPM to 49 WPM!  They LOVE it!  they are constantly trying to beat their friends.  
I have NEVER had sooooo many kids with such high WPM scores!  I may just have to set some new goals!  

Enjoy the pics! They aren't very good, my yearbook students were using my nice camera.

The main goal at first was to just get to the plus sign (+) but I had so many kids reach that so quickly, I had to come up with a new idea, and fast!  So I decided to label all the plus apples with their WPM! It created even more competition!  LOVE THE IDEA!  I just ordered more so that I can do this in the semesters to come!!!

1 comment:

  1. This is cute. Of course bring up competition and teenagers go WILD haha. Smart thinking.

    ReplyDelete